Flabby arms again? Ah! You are here because you have been super conscious about the kind of sleeveless tops or dresses you wear, looking for how to smoothen and tone out those flabby arms.
You are not alone! I recently hung out with my girls and one of them couldn’t stop telling me how my arms are now looking like a ‘Christian mother’s arms’. That’s what we call it here in Nigeria.
To be honest, that statement didn’t sit well with me at all. I have been using my fingers (curled into a ball) to measure my arms ever since then. We know all bodies are beautiful in their different forms but there’s always a moment of hesitation when you want to rock that sexy dress or sleeveless top.
- Not sure of what your body shape is? Our article understanding your body shape should help.
The flabby arms are usually referred to as ‘Stubborn fat’ because once it starts accumulating, it’s always hard to get rid of them. And no matter how much you control your diet, fat in the arms are usually not too eager to disappear. Before delving into how to get rid of the fat in the arms, let’s discuss what causes them to appear in the first place.
WHAT ARE THE CONTRIBUTORY FACTORS?
Like I said before, you are not the only person that is worried or concerned about this issue. You are not alone on this. A lot of women are sitting tightly on this table, so when it’s shaken…everybody falls. Lol!
So, I carried out a little research to understand the cause of this issue and according to World Health News, ageing is a factor although it’s not entirely the cause. As you get older, your metabolic rate decreases and if you are not a physically active person or don’t randomly exercise daily, the excess fat will get stored in your arms.
Also, arms get fat when you gain weight from eating more calories than you burn. When you are adding weight, you have no control over where the accumulated fat goes. It can go to the hips, abdomen, or arms. It depends largely on where your body has an abundance of fat cells. This now raises the million-dollar question of how do we smoothen and tone the arms?
HOW TO SMOOTHEN AND TONE THE FLABBY ARMS
You have these stubborn flabby arms like me and looking to get rid of them? Well, you have to actively start taking a lot of things into considerations especially total body weight loss. The five simple things to do to get your arms smooth and toned are…
1. No Sugar: Some of us gulp down a bottle of soda with a bowl of rice (Carbohydrates) and we all know that things with high sugar content such as soda, cakes, or cookies are generally bad for health. Sugar on its own is not bad at all but to lose flabby arms, you have to cut down food with excessive sugar content.
2. Don’t Skip Breakfast: If you truly want to lose flabby arms, then skipping breakfast is one thing you should never do. Bad move. Because this will lead to overindulging yourself in food throughout the day. Instead, eat a proper breakfast to start your day on a good note.
3. Stay Hydrated: Drinking plenty of water every day is a non-negotiable factor you should consider if you want to lose fat arms. It supports weight loss by increasing feelings of fullness, decreasing food intake, and enhancing metabolism.
4. Protein Intake: Adding protein to your food intake is another easy way to curtail cravings and keep your appetite under control. This will support weight management and help you reduce excess body fat and flabby arms.
5. Engage in Exercises for Toning the Arms: some of these exercises include Lifting weights, Bicep curls, triceps dips, Push-ups, and Side plank with dumbbell raises.
- Weight Lifting: If you don’t have dumbbells for this exercise, you can use a bottle of water as a substitute. Stand with your shoulders-width apart. Hold the weight with both hands and lift above the head. Your arms should be straight, slowly lower the weight behind your back. Do 3 sets of 20 reps each.
- Bicep curls: You need a pair of weights for this. Stand firmly on the ground, with shoulders width apart. Hold onto one weight in each hand. Lift both weights by bending your elbows and bringing your arms towards your shoulders.
- Push-ups: This exercise is great for all those looking to lose fat arms. Spread a yoga mat, with your palms facing downwards, rest your hands on the floor. With hands firmly on the floor, lift your body. Slowly lower your body again till your chest is almost touching the ground.
- Side plank with dumbbell raises: It is commonly known that planks are a great way to work out your core. A side plank does the same but adding dumbbells is very beneficial to losing fat arms. You will not only work out your core but will say goodbye to fat arms.
While lifting weights is a great way to tone your arms, there’s always concern about whether your muscles would bulk up. I have considered this as well but building muscles don’t happen overnight and take intensive hours in the gym to happen. I always try to look at the bigger picture of finally getting rid of the fat in the arms. This is what should keep you motivated into using exercises as well as other points noted in this article to get a smooth toned arm.