Wearing shapewear while pregnant is somewhat of a controversial topic as women are often worried about the safety of their growing foetus. This is because compression wear is associated with restriction which doesn’t sound too comfy when you are sporting a baby bump.
Many women, including celebrities like Jessica Alba and Kim Kardashian, are known to have worn body shaping garments while pregnant. If shapewear is made for the pregnant body, it’s meant to be comfortable and less of a strain on your body than constricted shapewear.
It is true that during pregnancy, a woman’s body undergoes a massive transformation, but when with suitable shapewear, women can still flaunt their curves and have a flattering look. It makes a lot of sense when you think about wearing shapewear when pregnant because it gives your body the support it needs, feels comfortable and improves body posture.
However, the appropriate shapewear for pregnant women is Maternity Shapewear. This is because maternity shapewear is designed to ‘shape’ your body while leaving room for your baby which is more convenient than the regular shapewear. The regular shapewear might be too tight and put unnecessary pressure on different areas of your body.
Besides creating discomfort, it can also cause pain, reduced blood circulation, heartburn, and swollen feet. Maternity shapewear with styles that have a high waist, with an opening in around the belly or styles with a light stretchable mesh around your tummy are not bad at all.
Maternity shapewear is meant to be more comfortable for you and less of a strain on your body than regular shapewear. When considering whether or not to use maternity shapewear while pregnant, it is imperative to think about you and your baby first. Will it make you feel better about yourself? If so, then wear it. But more importantly, it should be comfortable to ensure maximum safety for you and your baby.
WHEN DO YOU WEAR MATERNITY SHAPEWEAR?
Medical researchers are of the opinion that for the first three months of your pregnancy, you can continue to wear your regular shapewear without harming your baby. Reason being that the uterus is located under the pubic bone and the baby is safe even with a tight girdle. But after three months, the baby needs extra space to grow. it is then better to put aside your pre-pregnancy shapewear for maternity shapewear.
WHY WEAR MATERNITY SHAPEWEAR?
There are a number of reasons why you should consider maternity shapewear.
- Makes you slimmer: It gives you a slimmer silhouette while shaping and adding support to your body for a few months.
- Good for your back: They are good for your back. Posture can be improved and enhanced from wearing maternity shapewear as it supports the spine, taking the pressure off the lower back & reducing back pain.
- No visible panty lines: With maternity shapewear, you won’t worry about visible panty lines for your entire pregnancy.
- They widen your wardrobe: The shapewear doesn’t stop with high waisted pants. Most brands are utilizing the shaping technology within leggings, tights, and jeans to give a variety of styles that will ensure you feel comfortable and confident at all times.
- They’re safe: As long as you choose maternity-specific shapewear and not the regular constricted versions, then this form of underwear is a great choice throughout your pregnancy.
- No-slip or protruding: When your baby bump is growing, your old underwear and shapewear might become uncomfortable either by riding up or slipping down. Maternity shapewear perfectly stays in place for easy wear all day long.
The sole purpose of maternity shapewear is to allow you to feel and be more confident of your body without harming your baby. When pondering pregnancy and shapewear: What’s safe and what’s not, you should be careful to avoid wearing one that would constrict your belly. Look for styles that stretch with your baby bump.